Our Kenosha History: Whether it’s 1922 or 2022, the doctor is in

Our Kenosha History: Whether it’s 1922 or 2022, the doctor is in
German born Wendell Dagenbach moved to Kenosha in 1885 at the age of 32 and became a successful cigarmaker in Downtown Kenosha. Dagenbach also had an eye for real estate and scooped up properties on the west side of what was then Milwaukee Avenue (now Seventh Ave) and north of Middle Street (50th St). The properties he would oversee construction of in the late 1890’s included four structures along Milwaukee Ave; the corner lot, which we now call the Dagenbach building at the corner of 50th and Seventh (and the focus of today’s story), two buildings that are now gone to the north, and what is now The Coffee Pot. The Dagenbach building opened in 1898 as two storefronts, one on the south side with the entry in the corner near the current doorway, and a 20’x70’ storefront on the north side of the building. Wendell Dagenbach and his family... More

Our Kenosha History: Former strip club overcomes numerous crimes and eventually receives a new lease on its life

Our Kenosha History: Former strip club overcomes numerous crimes and eventually receives a new lease on its life
With the recent news of local taverns having problems which our Kenosha City Council has decided to try to solve, lets take a look back at a small neighborhood joint on the city’s west side and its interesting history. On February 29, 1960, Augustus B. Thompson was given the authority to build a new, but pre-built restaurant at 4609 38th Avenue. By the end of the year, Thompson would open the Dun-Roamin’ Restaurant and Motel. The long, narrow building had the small restaurant in the front and a very small number of rooms for rent in the back. Later on, the hotel rooms would become transformed into a 3-room apartment. In the mid-1960’s it was known as Tommy’s Tap before Ken Penrod bough the building and opened Penrod’s Last Call Tavern, a country bar and grill in 1966. By 1968, a new operator comes on, Ken Menning. He hosts a... More

Our Kenosha History: A little slice of pizza history in Kenosha

Our Kenosha History: A little slice of pizza history in Kenosha
January 25, 2022 — Pizza is a hot topic in Kenosha. We all have our favorites. But Kenosha didn’t magically become what it is overnight. You might not believe it today, but in the late 1940s, pizza was NOT a key part of Kenosha’s identity. It was not until World War II when thousands of servicemen filtered through Naples and discovered this interesting sauce, cheese and bread concoction. When returning to the US, veterans began to ask local Italian restaurants to make it for them and it grew in popularity very quickly. The Patio (5030 Sixth Ave, Oriental Inn location) – was one of the first restaurants in Kenosha to really push the ‘carry-out’ pizza system that everyone uses today. They advertised pizza carry-outs in 1947. The place was a hoppin’ joint too I assume with live music and dancing.     The popularity of the pizza pie was growing,... More